Sunday 18 April 2010

2010: The unnamed writer by Elise Valmorbida

Here is a mind
caught in the elision
between personal, political.

Here is a nib
charged with invisible ink
that under iron heat
turns blood-brown.

Here is a silence.

(Death happens in brackets)
but still you can hear
the bell of the voice,
chiming, tolling,
the scratching of the pen.



Elise Valmorbida is a favourite author of mine, responsible for the endearingly beautiful The Book of Happy Endings, however this time Elise's subject matter is a tribute to the unnamed writer. Those writers in the world who are not permitted to write freely and without fear of persecution. As a blogger, I am grateful that I live in a country which actively promotes freedom of speech - and written word.

Valmorbida was tasked with writing the final of 50 written tributes to persecuted writers, to correspond with the 26:50 events on the South Bank this week. In my humble opinion this piece is as powerful as it is tender. 26 and PEN are both organisations close to my heart and I've enjoyed their daily posts.

I hope their words resonate with you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment